Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Paisley's Post - UFO

I wanted to make this post about a UFO completed -- but I think, more importantly, it's about a little girl, the daughter of a friend of our great niece, who needs prayers and support at this time.

Her name is Paisley -- and she was born on July 1st, 2011 with Gastroschisis at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, NY.    You can read more about Paisley here.

My sister Janet was busy making a quilt and matching pillow cases for Paisley's Benefit -- and I thought -- I have tons of UFO's that I could finish for the benefit -- I'll do just that!     I delivered the little Table Topper to my great niece yesterday -- just in time for the benefit on Sept 29th.    

Prayers and energy sewed right into the material -- for Paisley!   Please keep her in your mind, thoughts, spirit and prayers.

It all started with a charm pack of Joanna Figueroa Butterscotch & Rose...

I had recently purchased my Janome Horizon (Ummm March, 2012 - Yes a fairly recent UFO) and I wanted to do some piecework on it -- how easy to cut the Charms into 2.5 inch squares and begin to sew !

Well -- I sewed for a night or two, then put the squares away -- until last week !   I went to a Local QS, purchased some additional fabric for the border and backing -- and finished this cute little table topper for Paisley's Benefit. 

I kept it simple so that I could finish it in a day or two.... sewed the 2.5 inch squares together in a 10 x 10 square topper.  I added a 1.5 inch border of Red Moda Marble and after I put it on, it looked too large, so I trimmed it down to a finished size of 3/4 inch.   I added another 5 inch border and layered it with Warm and Natural 100 Cotton Batting.  

Quilting -- the Janome does a great job and has a large quilting area -- but I do have a bit of a struggle when I push the quilt fabric to the left -- my machine just doesn't like it.   (I need to take it in for service -- soon!).  

Anyhow -- I was able to quilt a scallop around each cut charm -- and echo a scallop into the border.  (Still learning and practicing)





I added a cute label and off it went to the "Prayers for Paisley Benefit".

 It's simple -- but darling -- and for the most wonderful cause!
 Hope ya'll have a very special day -- hug your children, your grandchildren, your family.

Being thankful for all that I have and all that I love.

Hugs,

Karen

Linking up to the Free Motion Quilting Project UFO Sunday -- as well as Connie's Linky Party Tuesday !

8 comments:

  1. That's adorable and I love the scallop quilting. I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful quilt. My prayers are with you for Paisley.
    I like the thin inner border. Gives a very different look. I have always tried only 2.5 inch inner border. Should try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful quilt, love the touches of blue

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so darling and I pray the benefit goes well. Every machine has its 'moments' when FMQ! Sometimes its the thread or me moving the fabric a little differently (fast/slow) or the machine simply doesn't like it!! I noticed that when I did the Leah Day micro-stippling QAL. One of the days my machine didn't like a diagonal movement resulting in whacko stitches and some thread breakage. The next day....all was ok! Have no clue why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers going out for that little sweetie! What a great quilt for such a good cause!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quilt. I hope all goes well with Paisley. Love and prayers
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful use of your time and talent. Keeping Paisley in my prayers too. X

    ReplyDelete